Errors In Logs

Andrew Nelson Andrew.Nelson at hsc.utah.edu
Wed Dec 3 03:16:33 CET 2003

All

I've very nearly, after many many hours, gotten a cluster node to install.  In fact after booting the node into single user mode I can fix a few things and be up and running but in my logs I get a bunch of errors

First and foremost I get this message.  I can't figure out what I've done wrong here but here is the message.

Calling task_savelog
Save log files via rsh to fai at atom00:atom01/install-20031202_182639
Bad port '-d'

I can read get this message because I have configured fail to start the ssh server while installing.  This message is found in /tmp/fai/rcS.log .

I also get the following error that worries me a bit more.

Writing file /boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg/C0A8010B for atom01
/usr/sbin/fai-chboot  Permission denied at /usr/sbin/fai-chboot line 124.

I'm not even sure what the pxelinux.cfg really is or if I absolutly need it but the error message worries me.

I only have two other problems although these I think I can fix by writing some scripts.

1.  After an install I get no teminals until I boot into single user mode and edit /etc/innittab to uncomment the lines that look as follows.

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

I figure I could write a hook or class file or something to do this durning the install but I curious I'm doing something dumb that is causing this and if I just stopped doing that dumb thing would that fix my poblem.

2.  After booting the newly installed node and getting the inittab fixed and then getting out of single user mode I run desect just to be sure all the packages are up to date and I get end up needing to download about 26 megs of new files.  Now this shows up in shell.log so I don't quite know what is going on.

Running "apt-get -f install" for the last time.

This is just about the last thing to show up in shell.log so I'm suprised it turns out there are more packages to be installed after I have the node installed.

Again I think I can probably fix this problem with a hook or something but again I'm more inclined tho think I'm doing something dumb.

If anyone can help me with any of these problems I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks much

Andy