how to create configfiles on the fly?

Michael Renner michael.renner at gmx.de
Tue Sep 10 15:16:23 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 09:11, Henning Glawe wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 06:10:49PM +0200, Michael Renner wrote:
> > not identical. I should create a XF86Config depending to the graphic card
> > (and ideally also depending to the monitor or LCD) a modules.config
> > depending to the soundcard and so on.
>
> if you install 'discover' on your machines, kernel modules for a lot of
> hardware (like network cards, soundcards ...) are detected and loaded at
> boottime.
> there are three pieces of hardware left, where you have to develop your
> own solution:
> -graphics card
> -mouse
> -monitor

Thanks for all the answers! I just playing around with hwconfig and discover
and think that this may do exactly what I want.
But I even want to take a closer look to the 'knoppix' distribution, which
also have to detect the hardware. I'm going to post my results to this list
as soon as I have some ;-)

CU
--

|Michael Renner      E-mail: michael.renner at gmx.de  |
|D-72072 Tuebingen   Germany                        |