bootfloppy for strange ethernet

Eric Mumpower nocturne at permabit.com
Thu Sep 5 14:21:26 CEST 2002

I'm attempting to get FAI working with the e1000 network-driver module.

The documentation for this driver clearly state that it is not supposed to
be statically linkable into the kernel. Thus, I have prepared an initrd
floppy, which correctly boots my kernel and insmods the e1000 module, but
then which doesn't seem to autoconfigure the e1000 device.

Can anyone suggest any method for causing the device to obtain information
from bootp/dhcp? Yes, my kernel is being passed the command-line args
ip=bootp, but this seems to only affect statically linked drivers, and not
modules.