bootfloppy for strange ethernet

Mark Hedges hedges at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 5 02:54:02 CEST 2002

Hello.  I have some problems using a FAI bootfloppy with other
Ethernet cards like a DEC Tulip card.  It cannot probe or
activate the card, and the link light never comes on.  I tried
"ether=0,0,eth0" but that did not work.  I also tried plugging
in a supported ne2000 card and using "ether=0,0,eth1" but the
bootfloppy does not try eth1.  I was able to get FAI all the
way to the logging stage on another computer with a single
ne2000 device.

Incidentally I found it necessary to add
"$ROOTCMD apt-get -y -f install" before apt-get update
in make-fai-nfsroot to get the "dselect" package to install
so that `fai-setup` would finish.

Thanks for any info about using FAI with odd Ethernet cards.

--mark--