setup_harddisks and sfdisk not doing the right thing.

JB Segal jb at permabit.com
Thu Oct 24 21:32:11 CEST 2002

Quoth Thomas Lange (lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de):

>     > I'd expect that /dev/hdb3 and /dev/hdb4 would not end up with
>     > filesystems, just that the disk would be labled for the
>     > appropriate size partitions.  Since I'm trying for raw
>     > partitions, that would be the right thing.
> You can use the preserve keyword, if the partition is already made,
> but then you can't give a size for this partition. There also the
> option lazyformat. This will not create a filesystem, if the partition
> was not moved. I'm not sure if this will work for you.
>
> Maybe a new option "noformat" should be added to setup_harddisks.
> How would like to do this ?

Well, it seems one of my predicessors here actually solved this problem
already: A stanza of the format:

disk_config hdc

primary /index5         1024    rw                              ; -j ext3
primary /index6         1024    rw                              ; -j ext3
primary -               128000-                                 ; swap
primary -               10-                                     ; swap

will Do The Right Thing, it seems....

 # fdisk -l /dev/hdc

Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 387621 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1             1      2081   1048823+  83  Linux
/dev/hdc2          2082      4162   1048824   83  Linux
/dev/hdc3          4163    294775 146468952   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdc4        294776    387621  46794384   82  Linux swap

Now to just get things to actually be the size I want them to be. Does
FAI/setup_harddisks/sfdisk use binary or decimal units?

1000 MB to the GB or 1024?

Thanks.
JB