TFTPing from a different server to the DHCP server

Andrew Pollock andrew-fai at andrew.net.au
Thu Oct 10 02:10:50 CEST 2002

Hi,

I've got a situation where the FAI installation server is on a different
subnet (and therefore box) than the DHCP server.

I thought I could just use the next-server option to tell the client to
TFTP to the FAI server's IP address, but it doesn't seem to be working.
This is the way you do it though isn't it?

I'm doing a PXE boot. My understanding of PXE is it makes a DHCP request,
and then TFTPs a specific image down as the boot loader. Is that correct?
Does the PXE pre-boot stage honour the next-server option, or does it only
TFTP from the DHCP server?

Andrew