Future of FAI (fwd)

Bruce Edge bedge at troikanetworks.com
Wed Nov 27 23:55:49 CET 2002

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Bruce  Edge wrote:
>
> > One thing I'd like to see addressed it the order that the
> script directory is processed.
> > Currently the scripts are run in the order the classes are defined.
> > How about a scripts/XX.CLASSNAME.source filename format so
> you could use the XX as a number to control the execution order?
>
> I think the ordering of classes is a conscious decision to tame
> complexity.  Doing something like reordering classes breaks
> the concept.
>

> It's all pretty easy.
>
> Austin

Files in class/ are processed by name, so are the script/CLASSNAME/* scripts.
I think script/* ought to follow the same rules.

I can't see any advantage to forcing script processing to occur in the same order in which classes were defined.
What about the case where you define class inheritance via a spef file? Are class scripts processed in child->parent or parent->child inheritance order?
Making it explicit, ie: by name ordering, you force the decision to the foreground, same as with the class/* files.

-Bruce