Preconfiguring packages in FAI

ole.schistad at zonavi.com ole.schistad at zonavi.com
Wed Nov 20 13:06:15 CET 2002

I've seen references to pre-populating debconf in the FAI list but no proper explanation of the procedure. What I'm looking for is a way to automate those packages that require manual input at installation (such as locales) in such a way that the system is 100% configured when FAI is done and no packages need to be configured in dselect (or dpkg-reconfigure).

What I did with the locales package was to include it in package_config/LOCALES and then write a shellscript which writes the /etc/locale.gen file and runs locale-gen. IMHO this is not the optimal solution to the problem though, a better way would be to somehow provide a preconfiguration to debconf and avoid having a custom script for each and every package.

Anyone know how this can be achieved?

Regards,

Ole Andre Schistad
Systems Manager, Zonavi AS