new to fai, just wondering about a comment in the homepage of fai...

Chad Walstrom chewie at wookimus.net
Mon May 6 20:27:21 CEST 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 12:58:02PM -0400, Walter Tautz wrote:
> How is it better than Redhat Kickstart for example? The reason I ask
> is because a manager of mine asks. ...[snip]...What I need is
> something a manager can understand (technical explanation would be
> quite alright, fortunately the manager is a tech person himself).

FAI, unlike Kickstart, builds package lists as install time based on
classes.  With kickstart, you must build a static package list and
resolve all of the dependency issues you might have.  You must do this
for every class of machine you wish to install (mail server, web server,
workstation, beowulf cluster).

You should read the FAQ from the main FAI site.  It explains this in
much greater detail.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie