Documentation clarification

Ronan KERYELL Ronan.Keryell at enst-bretagne.fr
Wed Mar 20 11:41:50 CET 2002

    >> appear everywhere in a name (I've first thought to prepend them
    >> instead of appending, but they can also appear in front of a name
    >> too... :-( ).  What about to jump to a « package/+ » or « package/-
    >> » syntax instead ?
    Thomas> But apt-get will handle this correctly, I think. So # apt-get
    Thomas> remove g+++ or # apt-get install g++- should be ok. And the
    Thomas> install_packages script passes the package names including the
    Thomas> + or - to apt-get

Argh ! You mean it is an apt-get issue and not a FAI one ?

For example if there are g+ and g++ packages, how to understand in an
unambiguous way :
apt-get remove g++

installing g+ or removing g++
??? :-(

    >> I don't understand in the install paragraph « All package names are
    >> checked for misspelling. If a package doesn't exist, it is
    >> automatically removed from the list of packages to install. »
    Thomas> That's a new feature.

    >> with the later paragraph « If you specify a package that does not
    >> exists (e.g. you make a typo), the the whole installation of
    >> software package will not be started. » Is the whole installation
    >> of all software packages or only this software packages ?
    Thomas> This was the old behaviour. If a package name is wrong, then
    Thomas> no software package will be installed. This is a "feature" or
    Thomas> a bug of apt-get, so of FAI.

Ok, I'm going to try to figure out how to report a bug about apt-get...

Thank you for the clarifications.
--
    Ronan KERYELL              |\/
    Labo Informatique Télécom  |/)  Tel:    (+33|0) 2.29.00.14.15
    29285 PLOUZANE CEDEX       |\   E-mail: Ronan.Keryell at enst-bretagne.fr
    FRANCE                     | \  http://www-info.enst-bretagne.fr/~keryell