Confusion with docs

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Jun 7 22:32:13 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I'm new to FAI and just trying now to set up my installation server.

I have the Debian mirror up and running, and am able to use it from
my workstation with apt-get.  Now I'm trying to configure FAI.

I'm trying to do this with PXE on eepro100s.  The docs say that you
need:
	tftp
	bootp or dhcp

There seems to be much information about configuring both tftp and
bootp, but next to nothing about dhcp.  I'd prefer to use the ISC
dhcp server because I have a lot of experience using it already, and
it's one less thing for me to have to learn.  However, the only real
information provided in the docs are "See the example dhcpd.conf
file".

I looked at that, changed it appropriately, but now the dhcp server
dies with:

	/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf line 38: unknown option dhcp.option-171 \
	option option-171 "sysinfo"

I'm using:
	ii  dhcp3-common   3.0+3.0.1rc9-2
	ii  dhcp3-server   3.0+3.0.1rc9-2

So, it appears that there's a problem with the example dhcpd.conf
file using the lines:

	option option-170 "FAISERVER:/usr/local/share/fai";  # FAI_LOCATION
	option option-171 "sysinfo";			     # FAI_ACTION
	option option-172 "verbose createvt sshd";	     # FAI_FLAGS

Do the options 'option-17X' need to be previously defined somewhere
using the 'option space' declaration to set up a new name space?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

--

Seeya,
Paul