fai and software RAID

Eric Mumpower nocturne at permabit.com
Mon Jun 3 19:41:21 CEST 2002

> Does this process fit with fai's method? Has anyone else used fai to
> install RAID'ed systems

Yes, I have been doing this for about six months now. I do it without an
additional reboot -- I have built a FAI kernel which includes RAID-1
support, and have a 'partition' hook script which (crudely) parses a
configuration script, shells out to setup_harddisks to partition the disks
identically, creates a raidtab in /etc and /tmp/target/etc, runs mkraid to
create the RAID devices, creats /etc/fstab, and creates the diskvar file
which is ordinarily created by setup_harddisks.

Thus, the RAID creation is simply incorporated into the usual FAI process,
with no extra reboots needed.

The "config file" format is not very well-featured yet, and far from
flexible, and I'm not sure how well this script interacts with the latest
versions of FAI -- I began writing it several revisions ago, and don't know
if my requests to keep FAI compatible have been fulfilled.

But I can send you a copy, as a starting point for your own work, if you
like.