experiences/questions re: fai

Fri Jan 25 10:34:35 CET 2002

    > Which version of fai you are using ?  2.2.3
    > How many host have you installed using fai ?  None
    > Additional comments:

    > 1.  Do I have to have RARP and NIS working on my server to use fai?
No. NIS is very useful but not needed. If you use a DHCP server, you
need no rarp daemon.

    > Off-topic: Do RARP and NIS have to be working on my server in
    > order to execute a remote install, whether or not I am using fai
    > to do it?
No.

    > 2.  Why can't debdist be 'unstable'?
That a "problem" of the debootstrap command, use woody or sid instead.

    > 3.  Isn't it true that _either_ FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP _or_ FAI_BASETGZ should
    > be defined, but not both?  It's not clear whether all the
Yes, your're right.

    > 4.  I don't have a lot of space left on /usr/local/share, so I
    > liked to change the default value for FAI_CONFIGDIR.  But I
    > needed to know
    > -- how big does this directory have to be?
    > -- what ownership/permissions does it need?
The templates in fai for this directory are less that 500k without a
kernel package. The biggest files inside are the kernel packages for
the install clients. On all install clients, the root account needs
read access to all these files, so maybe export this directory with
option "no_root_squash".

    > 5.  Why does the fai install process require fixed IP addresses?
It does not need fixed IP addresses. After the install clients has set
up the network, fai and all scripts are only using the hostname or
class names for the configuration.

    > Hope the above is useful.  Susan Kleinmann
Thanks for your hints and filling out the questionnaire.

--
 Thomas