fai-setup problems

Marcel Hicking hicking at du.gtn.com
Fri Jan 4 17:02:37 CET 2002

Hi

FAI has been recommended to me on the Debian list,
and so far it sound really good.

Unfortunatelly I ran into some problems.
fai-setup complains a lot about packages etc.

What I have done so far:
Installed a new woody box (with base system only)
# apt-get install fai-kernels
# apt-get install fai
Configured and ran
# /usr/share/fai/utils/mkdebmirror
for woody, into dir /var/mirror/debian

Slightly changed the fai.conf to use woody

# fai-setup

Account $LOGUSER=fai already exists.
Make sure, that all install clients can
log into this account without a password.
/home/fai/.rhosts created.
User account fai set up.
Creating FAI nfsroot can take a long time and will
need more than 130MB disk space in /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot.
Unpacking base2_2.tgz
Upgrading /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
dpkg - warning: while removing pcmcia-cs, directory
`/etc/pcmcia/cis' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing pcmcia-cs, directory
`/etc/pcmcia' not empty so not removed.
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.16-686/modules.dep for
writing
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.16-686/modules.dep for
writing
rmdir: /etc/apm/event.d: No such file or directory
rmdir: /etc/apm: No such file or directory
dpkg - warning: while removing ppp, directory
`/etc/chatscripts' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing ppp, directory
`/etc/ppp/peers' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing ppp, directory `/etc/ppp'
not empty so not removed.
dpkg: debconf-tiny: dependency problems, but removing
anyway as you request:
 base-config depends on debconf; however:
  Package debconf is not installed.
  Package debconf-tiny which provides debconf is to be
removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing debconf-tiny, directory
`/var/lib/debconf' not empty so not removed.
Generating locales...
Generation complete.
init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
Adding additional packages to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot:
dhcp-client file rdate cfengine bootpc wget rsh-client less
dump ext2resize strace hdparm parted dnsutils grub ntpdate
psmisc hwtools dosfstools sysutils
Running ntpdate to synchronize clock.
Kernel image file name  = /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/boot/vmlinuz-
2.2.19
Output file name        = /boot/fai/installimage
Kernel command line     = "auto rw root=/dev/nfs
nfsroot=kernel nfsaddrs=kernel"
mknbi-linux: No space left on device

---

Some comments:

Neither apm nor ppp etc are installed, but
debconf is...

# apt-get install debconf
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, debconf is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0
not upgraded.

Had to get base2_2.tgz manually, since firewall doesn't
allow active ftp. BTW: Shouldn't this be 2.4 for Woody?

/boot is just a 5MB partition, so there is certainly
no space. Why do I need fai boot images on the install
server boot partition? Guess I have a bootable image
here already since the system is up?

TIA for any hints!
Marcel