Automatic installation documentation

Chad C. Walstrom chewie at wookimus.net
Wed Feb 27 17:43:04 CET 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:28:05PM +0100, Phil wrote:
> I've begun to write sth that output a LaTeX report giving details
> about the hardware...[snipped for brevity]...

Very cool.  Perl or Python?  Parsing the fai install logs?

> Does this already exists ?

Not that I know of.

> Btw, do you know a simple way to get the equivalent of dpkg -l (to get
> the list of packages installed with their version) but which is not
> truncated.  (For the moment I have to parse myself
> /var/lib/dpkg/status.)

    #!/bin/sh
    dpkg=/bin/dpkg

    # Set the column width
    COLUMNS=132
    export COLUMNS

    # Run dpkg -l
    $dpkg -l $@

Otherwise, I do a simple grep or egrep for info on specific packages:

    #!/bin/sh
    grep=/bin/grep
    status=/var/lib/dpkg/status

    # grep for a package and show status
    do_grep() {
        grep -A1 -E "Package:\.\*${1:-''}\$" $status
    }

    [ $# -eq 0 ] && {
        do_grep
        exit 0
    }

    while true
    do
        do_grep $1
        [ $# -lt 2 ] && break
        shift
    done

Use awk to format, or search the current debian archives for a tool with
apt-cache search 'REGEX'.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)