Future of FAI (fwd)

Niall Young niall at chime.net.au
Wed Dec 4 04:22:48 CET 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > most over the years - it's infinitely flexible but still vague.
> Vague, because it so flexible. I think more examples for the classes
> will make things clearer.

Absolutely, as long as we keep them modular then popular solutions can
then become 'standard'.

>     > post-install, probably other types of classes too.  It'd make
>     > sense to split them up and order them in into
>     > hardware;OS;application at a minimum, applications will
>     > definitly need ordering if you're layering multiple functional
> I think it's a bad idea to split the classes into several
> categories. If you have a "hardaware class" for SCSI you will also
> need a "package class" for SCSI. So why make life complicated? The
> class SCSI should be used for the hardware (load a certain SCSI kernel
> module) and the software (add a pacakge like scsitools) and scripts
> that tune your OS configuration (add a line to fstab for the SCSI CDROM).
>
> But it would be nice to have all these information for the class SCSI
> in one file. I will add this into my TODO for fai 3.0.

What I meant was more the ordering of when they're executed, make sure
that any implicit dependencies/inheritence is adhered to - not just
explicit relationships between classes.  A hardware class could contain
everything required - kernel modules, configuration tools etc. but you
want to be sure it's all setup before some application class that requires
that hardware class is applied.  I'll bow out though, I still know very
little about classes so I'll leave it to others.  Some more structure
would just make it easier to quickly define/inherit a new class, and
eventually automate it.

Niall Young                                    Chime Communications Pty Ltd
niall at chime.net.au                            Level 6, 263 Adelaide Terrace
Ph: (+61) 08 9213 1330 / 0408 192 797         Perth, Western Australia 6000

     "there's a lot of movement in my trousers at the moment"
                                     -- Dennis Kristofich, Sep 2002