seeded debconf revisited

Niall Young niall at chime.net.au
Mon Aug 26 11:46:28 CEST 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Paul Nijjar wrote:

> 	I'm stuck again. I too want to preconfigure some packages using
> debconf. My solution for this was to create a instsoft.DEBCONF hook that
> uses debconf-copydb to copy my modified configuration database to the
> client's /var/cache/debconf/config.dat .
> 	In each modified question, I set the "Flags: seen" flag, and the
> configuration database does get copied to /var/cache/debconf/config.dat .
> Then FAI installs a package, and the value in the database gets clobbered!

Yep, someone pointed out that the package is under no obligation to read
from debconf at install.  What we want may not fit in with the original
purpose of debconf, but I still think it would be damn useful if we
could use it like a registry or pass values in by some other mechanism.

Niall Young                                    Chime Communications Pty Ltd
niall at chime.net.au                            Level 6, 263 Adelaide Terrace
Ph: 08 9213 1330 / 0408 192 797               Perth, Western Australia 6000