seeded debconf revisited

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Sat Aug 24 05:29:08 CEST 2002

	I'm stuck again. I too want to preconfigure some packages using
debconf. My solution for this was to create a instsoft.DEBCONF hook that
uses debconf-copydb to copy my modified configuration database to the
client's /var/cache/debconf/config.dat .

	In each modified question, I set the "Flags: seen" flag, and the
configuration database does get copied to /var/cache/debconf/config.dat .
Then FAI installs a package, and the value in the database gets clobbered!
I had set libpaperg/defaultpaper to "letter"; when libpaperg installed
itself, it overwrote the value in the database to the default value of
"a4".

	Setting DEBCONF_DEBUG=db, I saw that debconf could not find the
libpaperg/defaultpaper template in /var/cache/debconf/templates.dat . So I
used debconf-copydb to copy that over as well. It did not work when I left
the template database untouched, and it did not work when I *changed* the
local template so that the default for libpaperg/defaultpaper was
"letter". Obviously I am missing something here. I was under the
impression that I would not need to copy the template database at all, and
I thought the creating the pre-seeded configuration database would be
enough to configure my package(s) properly.

As an example, here is the libpaperg/defaultpaper configuration stanza:
did I mess something up?

--
Name: libpaperg/defaultpaper
Template: libpaperg/defaultpaper