Installing from locally built .deb files

Thomas Glanzmann sithglan at stud.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Aug 23 19:42:01 CEST 2002

> If I have some locally developed software that
> I've packaged into a .deb file, what is the best
> way to arrange for installation of that software
> on a FAI client machine?  It seems clear that
> it doesn't belong in the pool of packages in
> my Debian mirror, since it would no longer be a
> "pure" mirror with my private package added.
>
> When I wanted to install a locally built
> kernel-image, it was clear from the docs that
> I should make a package and put that .deb file
> in /fai/files/packages and I have succesfully
> installed kernels using that approach, but it's
> not clear to me what the "right" way is to get
> similar results with non-kernel packages.

Make them available via ftp or http on one of your local machines. Add the
location of your package collection to sources.list like this one:

(faui05m) [~] cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep sithglan
deb http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~sithglan/debian ./

and use something like the appended makefile to create Release, Packages and
Packages.gz

Greetings,
	Thomas

--
Thomas Glanzmann  ++49 (0) 9131 85-27574   Department of Computer Science III
Martensstrasse 3  D-91058 Erlangen Germany   University of Erlangen-Nuremberg