Installing from locally built .deb files

mod+linux-fai at std.com mod+linux-fai at std.com
Fri Aug 23 17:21:23 CEST 2002

If I have some locally developed software that
I've packaged into a .deb file, what is the best
way to arrange for installation of that software
on a FAI client machine?  It seems clear that
it doesn't belong in the pool of packages in
my Debian mirror, since it would no longer be a
"pure" mirror with my private package added.

When I wanted to install a locally built
kernel-image, it was clear from the docs that
I should make a package and put that .deb file
in /fai/files/packages and I have succesfully
installed kernels using that approach, but it's
not clear to me what the "right" way is to get
similar results with non-kernel packages.