NFS hangs on client

Chad Walstrom chewie at wookimus.net
Tue Apr 23 23:25:49 CEST 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 08:48:20AM -0700, Andrew Sweger wrote:
> One thing I came across is my client mounts /usr/local/share/fai from
> the NFS server with nfsvers=3 by default for some reason. This appears
> to be causing the client to lock up (can't soft-reset, switch VT's,
> etc.) when accessing files in the configuration mount.

Would your server, by chance, not be compiled with NFSv3 support?  If
not, I would encourage you to do so.  It is also possible that the FAI
client is compiled only with NFSv2 support, in which case I would see
the problem.  Check the kernel config options in both kernels to make
sure they're the same or at least that both are capable of the same
version (looks like 2's a winner for you).

> The nfs docs seem to suggest NFSv2 is the default. The client mounts
> nfsroot as NFSv2. There's no mention of setting the mount options with
> nfsvers=3 in the fai source that I can see.

You could propose yet another variable for the fai.conf file: NFS_SVER.
Or, a more dynamic way would include some logic to test the server's
available versions, the client kernel's existing versions, and choose
the best match during the make-fai-nfsroot tasks.

Anyway, back to the grind.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie