$ROOTCMD swapon -a (for low memory machines)

bblack at superiorbroadband.com bblack at superiorbroadband.com
Thu Apr 18 23:47:20 CEST 2002

Hi, i'm new to the list but have been using FAI at work for over
6 months.  I have modified quite a bit of its behavior to suit my
needs and i thought i'd start contributing to the list to see if
any of my silly ideas save anyone else time and/or headaches.
-

Not sure if anyone is using fai to install onto machines with less
than 64 megs of ram but apt/dpkg tends to easily devour all available
memory during large package updates.  I'm currently calling
$ROOTCMD swapon -a
in my updatebase.DEFAULT hook but i'm wondering if it should not be
fai's default behaviour.  Seeing as it has very little effect on
machines with large amounts of memory, and how much of a benefit it
is to machines with smaller amounts of memory.  (dpkg actually works)

Bob