FAI failure...

Jens Ruehmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Thu Oct 25 19:12:23 CEST 2001

Hi Ian!

> Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and tested that change you
> suggested. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same results:
>
> FAI: setup harddisks V0.7fai
> disks found:
> sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature

Ah, I see. Well what upstream does is: it gets the the information of the
geometry using sfdisk -g (i.e. the kernel's idea of it) and then tries to
get partition info. Iff that doesn't work:

-- sfdisk.c --
    if (!msdos_partition(dev, fd, 0, z)
        && !osf_partition(dev, fd, 0, z)
        && !sun_partition(dev, fd, 0, z)
        && !amiga_partition(dev, fd, 0, z)) {
        printf(_(" %s: unrecognized partition\n"), dev);
                        ^--------------------^
        return;
    }
-- snap --

it creates new partitions (as you specified). So, in case your partitions
are valid, they can be preserved, otherwise new ones are created. So you
may either add such a functionality to [0] or get upstream from [1] and
use that inside your scripts.

Kind regards,
Jens

[0] http://cvs.debian.org/fai/scripts/setup_harddisks?rev=1.8
[1] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/nais/nais/utilities/setup_harddisks/setup_harddisks.pl?rev=1.4

--
ruehmkorf at informatik dot uni hyphen koeln dot de