after ip=autoconf WAS: Kernel (2.4.X series) not doing the initial boot.

Geert Stappers Geert.Stappers at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 10 15:32:03 CEST 2001

At 23:19 +0200 10/9/01, Stephane Enten wrote:
snip

>Regarding the tests-of-the-day, I found something I'd call a bug:
>in my kernels (2.4.10 and 2.4.9), if you just put the nfsroot= kernel
>parameter in your "append" LILO configuration, the kernel is *not*
>doing the autoconfiguration part.
>(While the doc states that omitting the ip= parameter is OK.)
>
>You have to specify 'ip=autoconf' and then the kernel do his DHCP
>or BOOTP or RARP request.
>
>No I have to find why the hell he isn't happy with the DHCPOFFER
>returned by the DHCP server, but that's a huge step passed :)

Once I had an encounter with a 3C509 with IRQ on line 9.
The module was inserted without any options, so it assumed IRQ10.
According tcpdump it did transmit packets, but it didn't react
on the answers-packets due the wrong interrupt line.

I suggest you append an other parameter.
Such as "ether=9,0,eth0"  which means eth0 at IRQ 9 and autoprobe I/O-base.
( http://ldp.nllgg.nl/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.1 )

Geert