Kernel (2.4.X series) not doing the initial boot.

Stephane Enten tuf at mmania.com
Tue Oct 9 23:19:27 CEST 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 12:12:49PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
 > Is the computer connected to a switch ? There were problems when
 > connected to a Cisco switch, because packets from the computer did not
 > pass the switch directly. I think it was a 2.2.18 kernel when I had
 > this problem but in 2.2.19 the parameters were changes so this problem
 > disappeared.
 >

 > Try increasing these parameters (found in the 2.2.19 kernel sources)
 >
 > net/ipv4/ipconfig.c:
 > #define CONF_OPEN_RETRIES       2       /* (Re)open devices twice */
 > #define CONF_SEND_RETRIES       6       /* Send six requests per open */
 >
 > Also try it using a hub, not a switch.

Thanks for this information !

However, the tests are now done on a hub, since I want to be able to
analyze the network traffic coming from the test client.

But I'll keep this information to double check this behaviour under 2.4
kernels, since I'm actually using Cisco switches (Catalyst 6509).

Regarding the tests-of-the-day, I found something I'd call a bug:
in my kernels (2.4.10 and 2.4.9), if you just put the nfsroot= kernel
parameter in your "append" LILO configuration, the kernel is *not*
doing the autoconfiguration part.
(While the doc states that omitting the ip= parameter is OK.)

You have to specify 'ip=autoconf' and then the kernel do his DHCP
or BOOTP or RARP request.

No I have to find why the hell he isn't happy with the DHCPOFFER
returned by the DHCP server, but that's a huge step passed :)

	Stephane