fai next level WAS: apt-get failures -- blah!

Diane Trout diane at caltech.edu
Fri Nov 16 10:04:12 CET 2001

Jens Ruehmkorf <ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE> writes:

> >From policy it's perfectly alright to have package names like "g+" and
> "g++". But what to do when using "apt-get remove g++"? To enforce correct
> behaviour of apt-get in all cases (which is *the* package handling tool),
> debian would have to restrict the naming scheme in some cases.

Eeew! Given the listed requirements the only solution I can think of
is to do a lookup of the package names to see if the full string
matches a name, and then try again with the trailing +/-
removed. Which is probably why apt starts off with a "Reading Package
Lists" message.

But then there'd be still the chance for ambiguity if both the packages
g+ and g++ existed in the database.

diane