fai next level WAS: apt-get failures -- blah!

Jens Ruehmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Thu Nov 15 12:30:27 CET 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Thomas Lange wrote:

> You have to add a - to the package name, so it will get removed (this
> is an apt-get feature, e.g. "apt-get install fai-" will removbe the
> fai package).

A feature that doesn't seem well thought to me, unfortunately.

Policy states (section 2.3.1), that package "names must consist of lower
case letters (a-z), digits (0-9), plus (+) and minus (-) signs, and
periods (.). They must be at least two characters long and must contain at
least one letter".

>From policy it's perfectly alright to have package names like "g+" and
"g++". But what to do when using "apt-get remove g++"? To enforce correct
behaviour of apt-get in all cases (which is *the* package handling tool),
debian would have to restrict the naming scheme in some cases.

--
Jens