FAI and Linux+Windows

Tue May 29 11:00:29 CEST 2001

    > Hi, We have to configure about 35 machines soon, and some of the
    > users of these machines, unfortunately, want M$ Windows along
    > with Linux. (I am a debian-user myself, and do not use Windows.)

    > I'd be grateful for any information on whether FAI can be used
    > for automatic installation of a Linux+Windows configuration on a
    > few machines.

It should be no problem from linux point of view. Install Windows on a
computer and make a tar file of this partition. Then install linux
using FAI and extract the tar archive into the vfat file system and
adjust lilo.conf and the hostname and IP adress for Windows. I heard
there are some problems, when creating a vfat file system under linux
(mkdosfs). When using it under Windows it does not work properly. But
maybe this is fixed now. I think there are some HOWTOs concerning
this.

Or you can create the vfat with win/dos and then preserve this
partition. Before extracting the tar archive you must remove all files
on this partiiton using rm -rf.

Hope this helps

--
 Thomas