Several errors when running fai-setup

Boris Maric maric at thp.Uni-Koeln.DE
Thu Jan 25 14:54:02 CET 2001

Hallo,
I experience problems with depmod similar to Ferran's which are
related to the fact that the kernel running on the installclient
difers from 2.2.17 which is contained in fai-kernels_1.0_i386.deb
for booting the fai-clients.
(in Ferran's case it seems to be 2.2.17-idepci ?? in my case it's 2.2.14)

Changing the line in fai-setup from:
chroot $NFSROOT depmod -a -F /boot/System.map-$KERNELVERSION
to:
chroot $NFSROOT depmod -a -F /boot/System.map-$KERNELVERSION $KERNELVERSION
fixes the error only in this place where depmod is called explicitely,
because we can pass $KERNELVERSION as "forced_version" argument of depmod.

Now with difering kernel-versions depmod also complains in other places
earlier during the fai-setup-prozess:
(I called the scripts with #!/bin/sh -x so its easier to find the relevant
 lines)

    ****snip****
Upgrading /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
+ chroot /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot apt-get -y remove pcmcia-cs
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep for writing
Adding additional packages to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot:
    ****snip****

and later (because installing lvm requires calling depmod ?):

    ****snip****
+ chroot /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot apt-get -y --fix-missing install ssh perl-5.005 dh
cp-client file rdate cfengine bootpc wget rsh-client less dump ext2resize raidto
ols2 lvm strace expect5.31 hdparm parted
grep: /etc/ssh/sshd_config: No such file or directory
grep: /etc/ssh/sshd_config: No such file or directory
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep for writing
dpkg: error processing lvm (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
Not starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server (/etc/ssh/NOSERVER)
 lvm
    ****snip****

Here depmod is called indirectly by the apt-get command and trys to write
in /lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep (since 2.2.14  is the version-number of
the kernel running on my fai-server)
I can't figure out how to eliminate this error. (Without building a
fai-kernels_1.0_i386.deb package which contains the same kernel-version as
the one running on the fai-server or putting a symbolic link in
$NFSROOT/lib/modules/2.2.14 ...)

Is there another cleaner solution to this problem or could one simply ignore
the depmod-errors ?

Thanks for any help,
	Boris