Several errors when running fai-setup

Ferran Jorba Ferran.Jorba at uab.es
Fri Jan 19 11:54:27 CET 2001

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your response.

>     > Unpacking /tmp/base2_2.tgz Upgrading /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
>     > depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.17-idepci/modules.dep for
>
> there's a litte error in fai-setup. This is the correct line (thanks
> to Michael Vogt):
>         chroot $NFSROOT depmod -a -F /boot/System.map-$KERNELVERSION $KERNELVERSION

I've modified fai-setup install_kernel_nfsroot() [correct?] adding the
final $KERNELVERSION, and re-run it, but I'm having the same message
(see below).  Let me attach the whole log:

---

$ fai-setup
Account $LOGUSER=fai already exists.
Make sure, that all install clients can
log into this account without a password
Creating FAI nfsroot can take a long time
/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot already exists. Removing /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
Unpacking /tmp/base2_2.tgz
Upgrading /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.17-idepci/modules.dep for writing
Adding additional packages to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot:
ssh perl-5.005 dhcp-client file rdate cfengine bootpc wget rsh-client less
dump ext2resize raidtools2 lvm strace expect5.31 hdparm parted
grep: /etc/ssh/sshd_config: No such file or directory
grep: /etc/ssh/sshd_config: No such file or directory
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.17-idepci/modules.dep for writing
dpkg: error processing lvm (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
Not starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server (/etc/ssh/NOSERVER)
 lvm
umount: /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot//mnt: not mounted
Kernel image file name  = /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17
Output file name        = /boot/fai/installimage
Kernel command line     = "auto rw root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=kernel
nfsaddrs=kernel"

Image Creator for MBA ROMs v1.00
Usage: imggen [OPTION] inputfile outputfile
  -a,   Add 3Com MBA or Lanworks BootWare support
  -r,   Remove BootWare header from boot image file
  -h,   Help screen

In filename: /boot/fai/installimage
Out filename: /boot/fai/installimage_3com
Adding MBA support...
MBA support has been succesfully added
FAI setup finished.

---

What puzzles me at this point is:

- depmod problem again
- error processing lvm.  As my configuration is *very* minimalistic,
  it seems to me that I shouldn't need lvm.
- imggen.  I selected
  KERNELPACKAGE=/usr/lib/fai/kernel/kernel-image-2.2.17_DHCP1_i386.deb
  because I'm planning those PCs to be booted from hard disk.  It sems
  to me (re-reading the documentation) that imggen is for booting from
  network cards; so, I shouldn't need it, right?
- the configuration (chapter 6), classes and cfengine.  Should I learn
  this language before doing anything useful?  Where should I start from?

Thanks for your time helping this newbie,

Ferran