FAI for woody or potato WAS Re: Problems with bootp and self-compiled kernels

Phil pbi at cartel-info.fr
Mon Dec 17 17:22:02 CET 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Thomas Lange wrote:
>     >> FAI 2.2.3 is for potato, where the tar command needs -I, in
>     >> woody a new tar version needs -j. So it seems you using a mix
>     >> of potato and woody packages.
>
>     > FAI 2.2.3 is the version distributed for woody and sid.
>
> FAI was first released after the potato was the stable release, so it
> could not go into potato, but is always in the tree of unstable and
> testing. But I wanted to support the stable Debian version. It is also
> mentioned in the README, that the default templates and configurations
> are for potato (See also NEWS file).
>
> Maybe the next version of FAI will be the "woody default" version and potato
> support will be dropped. But I'm not sure when to drop potato support.

There are for me 3 versions that can be used :
- the server distrib
- the nfsroot distrib
- the installed distrib

Why do we want them to be the same ? I don't see any reason.

What I'd expect is that the fai package which is in the xxxx (where xxxx
is in [potato,woody,sid]) repository work on a machine with distrib xxxxx.
That mean that only scripts that are run on the server have to work for
distrib xxxx. What about releasing different packages for each distrib
version we want to install (we will suppose that nfsroot distrib=installed
distrib) ?

There could be a fai-common package with scripts that run on the
intallation server, then fai-potato, a fai-woody and a fai-sid packages
that contains scripts that will run on the installed machine.

--
Philippe Biondi <pbi@ cartel-info.fr>   Cartel Informatique
Security Consultant/R&D                 http://www.cartel-info.fr