checking hardware type automatically

Matthew Palmer mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au
Wed Aug 8 03:39:24 CEST 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Roland Thomas Lichti wrote:

> But now I have the problem to get the type of hardware determined by
> fai. We use three different server and I need to distinguish beetween
> them (mainly for hardware monitoring). I used to check for the pci host

Typically I set a classname based on the hardware involved, as per the
following script:

# Ethernet cards
if grep -q RTL-8139 /proc/pci; then
         echo RTL8139
fi

# Sound cards
if grep -q "AudioPCI" /proc/pci; then
         echo ES1371SOUND
fi

if dmesg | grep -q "sb:.*detected"; then
         echo SBSOUND
fi

# Graphics cards
if grep -q "nVidia Corporation NV11 DDR" /proc/pci; then
	echo VIDEONVIDIA
fi

if grep -q "Riva128" /proc/pci; then
         echo VIDEORIVA128
fi

Then have scripts and package lists based on these classes.  If you needed
perfect classification, you could do it based on something unique to each
machine - say, the ethernet HW address.  If their from different
manufacturers, often they'll have separate prefixes.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au