checking hardware type automatically

Roland Thomas Lichti Roland.Lichti at mediaWays.net
Tue Aug 7 19:29:30 CEST 2001

Hi,

we just started using FAI as automatical installation system for our web
server farm. It's working great.

But now I have the problem to get the type of hardware determined by
fai. We use three different server and I need to distinguish beetween
them (mainly for hardware monitoring). I used to check for the pci host
 bridge:

PCIBRIDGE=`lspci -s 0:0.0|cut -d" " -f4`
echo PCIBRIDGE="$PCIBRIDGE" >&2
case $PCIBRIDGE in
        Relience)
                echo Installing a FMS Server >&2
                cat fms
                ;;

        ServerWorks)
                echo Installing a HP Server >&2
                cat hp
                ;;

        Intel)
                echo Installing a Manager PC >&2
                cat manager
                ;;
esac

But our HP servers now have the Relience host bridge, too. Is there any
method more stable than this crude guess via the host bridge?

bye,
	Roland