unexpected dpkg segfaults during installation

Thomas Gebhardt gebhardt at HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE
Thu Sep 14 15:50:11 CEST 2000

Hi,

sometimes I get some odd segfaults during package installation.

I can reproduce these segfaults. They dissappear when a specific
package is ommitted (Until now I found tmpreaper, lsof, and
apache-ssl to behave in such a bad manner). Oddly enough these
packages install without problems in other configurations,
i.e., when another set of packages is going to be installed.

Here is a part of apt-get.log:
 (xlib6g-dev and xmanpages seem to be innocent, the flaw disappears
  when omitting apache-ssl)

********************************
Selecting previously deselected package xlib6g-dev.
Unpacking xlib6g-dev (from .../xlib6g-dev_3.3.6-10_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xmanpages.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg recieved a segmentation fault.
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correctthe problem.
The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured.
They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure

There is a similiar problem reported in README.package_problems:
"gcc causes dpkg to segfault sometimes depending on packagelist"

(I had nether any problems with gcc)

I have no idea about the cause of these segfaults. Does anyone
have a hint?

Kind regards, Thomas