bootdisk/nfsroot problems

Niall Young niall at linuxsolutions.net.au
Thu Sep 14 11:01:52 CEST 2000

I'm trying to get FAI configured and working properly but I'm stuck.
Using dhcp instead of bootp, have modified it to use a local slink
mirror as I'm still waiting on my potato CDs.

I've run into 2 problems - firstly I get a heap of errors when running
make-fai-nfsroot (output below), and secondly once I've booted the client
with a floppy I get a few init errors (killall, openvt missing - I assume
this is related to my broken nfsroot) and finally I get "ERROR: FAI action
not defined" and am forced to reboot.

Any ideas?  I'm thinking it's related to make-fai-nfsroot's apt-get commands
as I'm trying to install from a slink mirror on my potato box.  Will this be
a problem or will I need a potato mirror on a potato box?

smeagol:/usr/share/doc/fai# make-fai-nfsroot
Removing old nfsroot /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
Unpacking base2_1.tgz
Upgrading /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
cd_links: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
cd_links: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
dpkg - warning: while removing apt, directory `/var/state/apt/lists' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apt, directory `/var/state/apt' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apt, directory `/var/state' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apt, directory `/var/cache/apt/archives' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apt, directory `/var/cache/apt' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apt, directory `/var/cache' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing apt, directory `/etc/apt' not empty so not removed.
/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/fai already exists
Do you want to delete and recreate it ?:
[...]
dpkg: error processing libc6 (--configure):
  libc6
  E: Lists directory /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/var/state/apt/lists/partial is missing.
  E: Archive directory /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/var/cache/apt/archives/partial is miss
  ing.
  Adding additional packages to /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot:
  dhcp-client file rdate cfengine bootpc wget rsh-client less ssh dump ext2resize
  raidtools2 lvm
  E: Lists directory /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/var/state/apt/lists/partial is missing.
  E: Archive directory /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/var/cache/apt/archives/partial is miss
  ing.
  cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/Fai.pm
  ': No such file or directory
  fai now using BOOTP protocol
  To get remote access to the install client via ssh
  without a password, copy your ssh identity.pub to
  /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot/root/.shh/authorized_keys

--
Niall Young

Linux Solutions -- www.linuxsolutions.net.au -- niall at linuxsolutions.net.au
        Providing Internet and Audio/Video Solutions and Consulting
              Ph: 0407 421 537 -- PO BOX 1117, Gwelup WA 6018