fai

james at wwnet.net james at wwnet.net
Thu Nov 30 17:17:51 CET 2000

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > -Make fai-setup copy base?_?.tgz to $NFSROOT/tmp so it can be
>     > accessed via nfs, instead of having to grab the file again.
>
> Good idea ! But $NFSROOT/tmp is not a good choice, because it's a
> ramdisk, so it would need more than 16MB. I will choose an other location.

Of course the smart thing for me to do would have been to setup my
faiserver (at home) as an ftp server so the faiclient could grab
base?_?.tgz from there.

>     > -I had a problem with resolving dns when fai-setup is running.
>     > make-fai-nfsroot (IIRC) would ln -s /tmp/resolv.conf
>     > $NFSROOT/etc/resolv.conf (or something similar).  This would
>     > cause apt-get to complain about any sources because there wasn't
>     > a /tmp/resolv.conf once the script had chroot'd.  I replaced
>     > that line with cp /etc/resolv.conf $NFSROOT/etc/resolv.conf, and
>     > it still didn't work right so I just used the ip address of the
>     > ftpserver.  I still need to figure out what is happening here.
>     > Maybe at that time the resolver lib isn't in the chroot?
>
> copy is wrong. Use the symlink instead. /tmp/resolv.conf will be build
> during booting the client, not the time the nfsroot is build. Have you
> defined name servers in bootptab or dhcp.conf ? These information are
> used to build resolv.conf.

The problem was showing up in make-fai-nfsroot at:
    chroot $NFSROOT apt-get update
	inside the $NFSROOT would exist $NFSROOT/etc/resolv.conf ->
/tmp/resolv.conf, but during the run of make-fai-nfsroot there isn't
anything in /tmp/resolv.conf, so the chroot'd process has no idea which
nameservers to use.

James