Linux FAI for RedHat

Thomas Renard Thomas.Renard at smail.uni-koeln.de
Thu May 4 09:32:56 CEST 2000

* Oliver Flimm <flimm at ub.uni-koeln.de> writes:

> Hi, On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 06:38:10PM -0500, Guilmer Gonzalez
> Flores wrote:
>> I am a Mathematical student in Mexico, I am very interesting in
>> work with clusters in some PC with linux, but the only know the
>> RedHat distribution. Some body work with the FAI for RedHat?

> on the primary homepage of fai
> (http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai) you can find a link to
> Thomas Renard's FAI4RPM, which should be exactly what you're looking
> for. The homepage of FAI4RPM is

> http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-renardth/fai/

> Perhaps you can give it a try. Although I also have a RedHat box
> running at home, here in the library the dominant distribution is
> Debian. So I can't comment on FAI4RPM only on the original fai.

> Regards,

> Oliver

Hi,

this should work. But you need:

- the cfengine. Get the newes one. This is no standard package in
  RedHat. But you will really love it, if you work with it. Play with
  this tool before running FAI4RPM. Does it like combinations of {} ()
  in one script? Create dummy scripts for testing your cluster
  setup. The actual FAI4RPM has definitely problems with these
  brackets...
- (Better) a bootpd. This can be found on old RH 5.1/5.2
  Distributions. Maybe you can recompile it for an actual RH Dist. It
  is better because I have problems with this dhcpd till now because
  there are to many (foreign) parameters sent at a time.
- Some experimental time. Some of the cfengine-Scripts of FAI4RPM make
  problems e.g. with creating the net setup. Some cfengine versions
  like combinations of {} and () some do not (as I said).

Good luck

Thomas

--
Thomas Renard				Ich glaub, Atomstrom