problems with apt-get update

Jens Rühmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Thu Jun 29 23:01:06 CEST 2000

Hello everybody,

> just noticed that fai installation (beta2) hangs because
>
> chroot $FAI_ROOT apt-get upgrade
>
> in prepare_apt() (rcS_fai) expects user interaction.

Well I have not installed fai to test things out (and I'm not planning to
do so).  But still this should be a rather general approach to problems
like this:

Simply do an "apt-get remove pcmcia-cs" or whichever packages you want to
be removed from the base-system. This can surely be done in a rather
general way using install_packages. So, for a packages file looking like
this

-- snip --
PACKAGES remove
ppp pppconfig pcmcia-cs

PACKAGES install
file perl-5.005 cfengine rsh-client ssh
-- snap --

install_packages does an "apt-get remove ppp pppconfig pcmcia-cs" then the
"apt-get upgrade" and finally the "apt-get install <PACKAGELIST>". Why
trying to upgrade something you want to remove anyway? Of course, this
only works if removing works in the first place (which I don't know for
the chroot-environment). I suppose it has nothing to do with the
pcmcia.tgz included in drivers.tgz.

Best regards, Jens