Problems with new stuff in Debian 2.2

Pedro Guerreiro pmguerre at ualg.pt
Wed Jun 7 20:41:11 CEST 2000

Hi *,

While testing the alpha Debian package, I've come across with a few
problems:

1. Debian 2.2 don't use the kbd packages anymore, it uses console-*. This
means that if FAI_CONSOLEFONT is defined, rcS_fai does not set it up
because it tries to use 'setfont -v ...', but this isn't available
anymore. Instead you should use 'consolechars -v -f ...'

2. FAI assumes that rsh is available, but in Debian 2.2 this isn't the
default (the package netstd don't exist anymore).

3. Does one need to mount /usr from other machine or not? From the stuff
I've read, we don't, and FAI uses the /usr from the base Debian tarball.
But the FAI scripts use stuff that are not available in the base system,
e.g. stuff from perl-5.005 (Getopt::Std in setup_harddisks) that isn't
available. If I mount the /usr from the server, all works fine (and the
problem from 2. it's also fixed). Maybe one should mount /usr be default?

Thanks,
Pedro Guerreiro