[linux-fai] apt-get upgrade ?

Thomas Gebhardt gebhardt at HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE
Mon Jun 5 17:14:07 CEST 2000

Hi,

is there a reason not to do an

chroot $FAI_ROOT apt-get upgrade

somewhere in prepare_apt() after the installation of base.tgz?
Of, course, this would take some additional time
It frequently happens that the packages provided with the
distribution are more recent than the packages in base.tgz .
apt-get upgrade would upgrade these packages.

I came along this problem when I had different lilo versions
on the nfsroot image and on the freshly installed fai client.
So "lilo -r ${target}" fails because the boot block from
${target}/boot and the lilo executable from the nfsroot
image were inconsistent. Maybe it is more save to use
"chroot ${target} lilo" instead?

Cheers, Thomas