local dhcp/bootp configuration

Mon Jun 5 16:34:00 CEST 2000

I've got a question:

Several people said, that they do not have access to their BOOTPC/DHCP
configuration/installation, because this is maintained by a central
service. I think, one can set up BOOTP locally even if there's a
central bootpc/dhcp server. The local bootp server should not conflict
with an other bootp server, because only your local bootp server has
the data to answer a bootp request for your local hardware. Besides
that, I think setting up a bootp server is very easy, easier and mor
flexible than using a bootfloppy with fixed bootparameters. And you
can define the special tags T170-T173 with BOOTP.

So, are there  other reasons not to set up bootp locally ?

--
 Thomas
            Thomas Lange