Installing X

Jens Rühmkorf ruehmkorf at informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE
Tue Jul 4 17:21:31 CEST 2000

Hello Andrew, hello everybody!

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:

> There exists (in base_N.N.tgz) a program xviddetect which tells me
> which is the correct server, so the solution I use is to put the
> line:
>    xserver-`xviddetect -q`
> into a package_config file.
> [...]
> The attached script does this job.

Cool idea to put it in the package_config file. Unfortunately this is the
"easy" part ;), I guess.

If there is no way of either specifying a suitable, general purpose
XF86Config or generating a client-speficic one during install, this has to
be done using classes, cfengine etc. anyway. anXious does not seem to be
feasible for this yet, I suppose.

Does anyone have an idea?

> Hope this might be useful for someone else.

Sure! Best regards,

Jens