Stable release 3.4.8 available

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sun Jun 5 21:28:01 CEST 2011

Hi all and Julien in particular,

[...]
> One issue I'm seeing is the end position for the last partition
> exceeding the device size when that last partition is an extended
> partition.

Would you have a disk config available, where you've seen breakage? I'd then
check it... If not, could you give a slightly more verbose description of the
configuration such that I could try to come up with a supposedly broken one?

> I'm also still doubtful of backward-compatibility with previous FAI
> releases, again, when it comes to msdos disklabels. I attempted to fix
> this, but... it wasn't exactly pretty.
>
> Modifications were made since, so if someone can say for sure that:
>  - it is compatible with previous releases when preserving msdos
>    disklabels;

The current code should ensure this.

>  - it doesn't break in corner cases like the above;

Can't say for sure, but would be willing to work on that :-)

> Then fine. Otherwise, that code must not go anywhere near stable.
>
> As proposed already, let's just forget about alignment and msdos
> disklabel. It's not worth the hassle.

I'd love to be able to say that, but it seem that people insist on using msdos.
Well, maybe all we have to do is make gpt the default? Well, but that shouldn't
go in stable either :-)

> It works superbly with GPT, though, no issue there.
>
> I'm swamped right now, I'm afraid won't find the time to dig into this
> for weeks if not months, otherwise I'd have raised the issue earlier
> with patches :/

Well, you did raise the issue earlier on anyway and did provide patches! It's
just that I tried to strive for a seemingly more general and beautiful solution.
But obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Best,