RFC: Stable Release Management

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Oct 4 13:20:02 CEST 2010

* Michael Tautschnig <mt at debian.org> [Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 10:11:33AM +0200]:

> > IMHO it's a good practice for any project to document existing
> > policies, workflows and the way developers handle their stuff.
> > As a starting point I thought about documenting my workflow WRT
> > stable release management in FAI. There we are:

> >   http://grml.org/tmp/fai-release.txt

> > If anyone thinks there's something that could be improved please
> > let me know. :)

> Just three remarks:

> - I love this detailed clarification, that's great and makes things really
>   transparent.

Thanks. :)

> - It would be great to see this on the FAI wiki, I believe this would be the
>   most appropriate place.

This was my plan, in the long run I'd like to have something like
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/ for
FAI.

> - It would be great if you could git svn commit your changes (or make them
>   otherwise publicly accessible) rather sooner than later; for the recent
>   releases (3.4.2 and earlier ones) it seemed that we only got to seem them
>   after you had uploaded to ftp-master. Not a big deal, however, as there's lots
>   of (public!) discussion on the mailinglists anyway and it's pretty clear what
>   goes in and what does not.

Sure, the delay in pushing my changes back to svn for 3.4.2 resulted
in having to figure out the best workflow to get those changes back.
Now having resolved that I'll push changes back to svn as soon as
I've applied them to my git repository.

Thanks.

regards,
-mika-