[RFC] setup-storage: generate scripts for partition table (re)creation

Julien BLACHE jblache at debian.org
Tue Sep 21 22:01:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have an idea for a small new feature in setup-storage, and I'm
looking for some feedback to gauge interest. The idea is to generate a
script for each device that can be used to recreate the partition table
after the initial installation, should the need arise.

The use case is pretty simple: being able to replace a failed disk in a
RAID setup.

With an msdos disk label, I just use sfdisk to do this, but I'm not
aware of an equivalent tool for GPT disk labels. Parted unfortunately
doesn't have an option to generate a parted script from an existing
partition table (that I know of, at least).

Now, I can either write a tool that parses parted output to generate a
script using parted commands, or I can add this feature to
setup-storage.

Any thoughts?

JB.

--