FAI stable release 3.4.x management

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Mon Aug 16 13:01:33 CEST 2010

Hi Mika (and hi everyone :-)),

Just a few notes on patch managment through:

> Hi,
>
> if anyone wants to see patches included (which Thomas and me
> consider for inclusion in Debian squeeze) or you notice that we
> forgot anything in the 3.4.x release please let me know.
>
> It would be great if you could provide your patches through the svn
> in people/experimental or otherwise just mail them to me (I'll take
> care of proper applying and forwarding to Thomas).

I guess you meant branches/experimental!?

> Please make your patches atomic (so as small as possible and just
> one feature per commit) and try to NOT touch debian/changelog when
> commiting. Instead make the first line as meaningful as possible (it
> is meant for inclusion in debian/changelog then) and write further
> comments starting in the third line of the commit message, so Thomas
> and me have better options for the 3.4.x vs. 4.x release management
> handling.

[...]

That proposal for patch-comment formatting clashes a bit with automated builds
on alioth: The script on alioth expects the patch author's name in the first
line and a detailed explanation to be given only afterwards (both of which go in
the changelog); essentially this is standard GNU changelog format (cf. [1]). If
you think we should change this, that's fine with me, please just let me know so
I can update the build script and fix the existing patches.

Thanks for doing the release management and all the work,
best,
Michael

[1] http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html