FAI roadmap

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Tue Jul 20 18:37:06 CEST 2010

>     > - Please make that DHCP-transition-bug top priority. We really shouldn't be
>     >   blocking transitions. (Well, they'll ignore FAI anyway, but it's just such a
>     >   small change that only requires proper consideration of future uses of FAI on
>     >   lenny systems.)
> I had a longer discussion about the transition. I will not do the
> transition yet in the subversion trunk. Why?
>
> If I do the transition now, the next FAI version will not work with
> lenny. I'm currently working on FAI 4.0 using lenny. This gives me a
> stable environment for adding and testing new features. If I would do
> this using squeeze, it could break my whole development and testing
> environment, if things are broken in squeeze. This happens often
> before the freeze, and even rarely during freeze.  Additionally, I
> like to release version 4.0 that works with lenny, since a lot of FAI
> users often use old Debian releases for a longer time, but may use
> newer FAI version. I guess 4.0 will be my last FAI version for lenny,
> newer versions will then only work with squeeze.
>
> In the past I also used the stable version of Debian for developing
> new things in FAI, and I switched late (before the next release) to
> the testing release. This worked very well for me.

Why does it have to be lenny or squeeze? I completely agree that FAI always was
and also will be used with older stable releases.

I'd propose something as simple as checking for -d /etc/dhcp3 or -d /etc/dhcp
(just writing that off the top of my head, paths may be wrong) and act
accordingly!? I might be missing something and clearly the patch proposed by
DHCP maintainers did not have this feature, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Hope this helps,