FAI Support for FreeBSD

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Sun Jan 31 23:31:42 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:09:51PM +0100, Michael Tautschnig thus spake:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:55:42PM +0100, Thomas Lange thus spake:
>> >
>> >   >> - Is the tool parted available?
>> >   > No.
>> >Oh, that's bad. Our partinioning tool depends on parted, and rewriting
>> >it is not possible.
>> >
>> >   > bsdlabel
>> >   > fdisk
>> >   > newfs
>> >If BSD fdisk is the same as for Linux, we can use our old tool, which
>> >works with fdisk.
>>
>> Here is the source for fdisk:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sbin/fdisk/fdisk.c?rev=1.95.2.1.2.1;content-type=text%2Fplain
>>

>Although a bit late to chime in, I'd like to note that the previous partitioning
>tool (setup_harddisks) actually used (and pretty much relied on) sfdisk. Would
>that also be available on FreeBSD?

Never too late to chime in :)

Yes, sfdisk is a port. Not sure how up-to-date this port, is though, or if
that would matter.

Port:	sfdisk-0.2
Path:	/usr/ports/sysutils/sfdisk
Info:	Standalone sysinstall's fdisk
Maint:	spam at rm-rf.kiev.ua
B-deps:
R-deps:
WWW:

>On the other hand, according, to http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index.shtml,
>parted should actually be available as a port. However, a quick web search
>didn't turn up any such binaries.

Unfortunately, parted is not in the ports tree.

Here is a area where the ports can be searched:
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

-j