FAI Support for FreeBSD

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sun Jan 31 20:09:51 CET 2010

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 09:55:42PM +0100, Thomas Lange thus spake:
> >
> >   >> - Is the tool parted available?
> >   > No.
> >Oh, that's bad. Our partinioning tool depends on parted, and rewriting
> >it is not possible.
> >
> >   > bsdlabel
> >   > fdisk
> >   > newfs
> >If BSD fdisk is the same as for Linux, we can use our old tool, which
> >works with fdisk.
>
> Here is the source for fdisk:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sbin/fdisk/fdisk.c?rev=1.95.2.1.2.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

Although a bit late to chime in, I'd like to note that the previous partitioning
tool (setup_harddisks) actually used (and pretty much relied on) sfdisk. Would
that also be available on FreeBSD?

On the other hand, according, to http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index.shtml,
parted should actually be available as a port. However, a quick web search
didn't turn up any such binaries.

Best,