FAI 3.3.2 on Ubuntu Karmic

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Tue Nov 17 17:05:19 CET 2009

Dear Colleagues,

thanks to Thomas Lange, Waldemar Brodkorb and friends, who were fixing
some major issues in the FAI sources to make FAI working on Ubuntu.

I incorporated the changes into an local copy of FAI trunk (3.3.2) and
prepared some Karmic packages for it.

I tested it on my some vmware machines.
Results:

1. Installation of FAI on Ubuntu Karmic (server flavour): Success
2. make-fai-nfsroot: success (config changes reflecting e.g. ubuntu
			     mirrors are included)
3. Installation of a test client, especially testing grub-pc: Success

Anyone who is interested to give FAI on Ubuntu Karmic a try, can fetch
the packages from the Launchpad FAI Team Personal Package Archive,
which you can find here:

	https://launchpad.net/~fai/+archive/ppa

When you are running Ubuntu karmic, just add ppa:fai/ppa to your
systems software sources or add a file to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ like
this:

fai-ubuntu.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/fai/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/fai/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

The archive key is: 1024R/4EA8CBF6
The archive key fingerprint: 9129F9C36B552AE35EDE6F3E29B940FC4EA8CBF6

To add the archive key to your local apt-key ring:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 4EA8CBF6

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fai-server fai-quickstart fai-doc

and you should be rock and rolling.

Interested people can also have a look at the source:

fai-ubuntu-trunk:
	http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/fai/people/shermann/fai-ubuntu-trunk/#_people_shermann_fai-ubuntu-trunk_

fai-3.3.2ubuntu1:
	http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/fai/people/shermann/fai-3.3.2ubuntu1/#_people_shermann_fai-3.3.2ubuntu1_

If you find any bugs, regarding this package, don't file it in the
debian bts, but here:

	https://bugs.launchpad.net/~fai/

Wishlist bugs you can file always in the debian bts, or regarding
ubuntu only on launchpad (URL mentioned above).
Wishlist bugs which are filed on LP but could be useful for the FAI
main line, I'll forward those towards the debian bts.

Kind regards,

Stephan '\sh' Hermann

--
| Stephan '\sh' Hermann    | OSS Dev / SysAdmin         |
| JID: sh at linux-server.org | http://www.sourcecode.de/  |